Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) for Male and Female Pattern Hair Loss
Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) was discovered serendipitously in the 1960s when mice irradiated with a low fluence red laser grew hair. Since then, numerous controlled clinical trials have demonstrated the effective application of laser to treat Androgenetic alopecia (AGA), the most common form of hair loss in men and women.
In 2007 and 2011, LLLT mediated by a laser comb was approved by the FDA as a safe treatment for male and female pattern hair loss respectively.
Benefits of LLLT Hair Loss Treatment
- Treatment is backed by scientific evidence-based effects on hair regrowth
- Low intensity lasers stimulate hair follicle cellular activities, promoting scalp health
- Also known as cold lasers, low level laser produce no heat, no pain and have no side effects
- LLLT treatment is commonly administrated after hair transplant to restore hair growth rapidly
- Suitable for most people, the non-invasive treatment takes less than half an hour with no downtime
Due to the safety profile and non-invasive procedure, LLLT Hair Growth Solution has an edge over hair transplants and prescribed drug and chemical topical treatments.
How does Laser Treatment Promote Hair Growth?
Lasers emit monochromatic, coherent and collimated light; single wavelength light waves that are aligned and travelled in synchronicity. These unique characteristics enable the laser light energy to focus in a narrow direct path to reach the hair bulb, stimulating Photobiomodulation.
Based on the available literature, the exact treatment mechanism of LLLT is not completely clear. However, it is believed that Photobiomodulation triggered the following biological processes:
- It increases the oxygenation of scalp tissue and stimulates cellular activity which promote cell renewal, creating a conducive microenvironment conducive for healthy hair growth.
- It rejuvenates the hair follicles and prolong the duration of anagen phase (rapid growth, active stage), increases the rate of proliferation in active anagen hair follicles and prevents premature catagen development.
- It inhibits 5-alpha reductase which reduces the production of DHT, thus controlling hair thinning.
Essentials of a Safe and Effective LLLT Hair Loss Treatment
What to look out for a safe and effective LLLT hair loss treatment?
- Check that the LLLT device is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and cleared by Health Sciences Authority (HSA) for import into Singapore. All Class B LLLT devices that are approved for use in Singapore can be found on the Singapore Medical Device Register.
- Low-Level Light Therapy, a device with a similar acronym, LLLT, uses LED. Unlink laser, LED emit non-monochromatic light consisting of a small band of wavelengths compared to the single wavelength produced by lasers, inhibiting its ability to stimulate cellular reactions. In addition, LED produced non-collimated and non-coherent light with weaker penetrative capability as the light energy is scattered as it interacts with the tissue.
- LLLT devices are available in two categories – consumer and professional models. Portable consumer models such as laser hat, helmet or comb are designed for personal use whereas professional machines are to be operated by trained personnel in a scalp centre. The latter is designed with a higher number of laser diodes to deliver uniform and adequate irradiation on the scalp for an effective treatment.
VESURE LLLT Hair Growth Treatment
VESURE LLLT Hair Growth Treatment is administrated by FDA approved professional grade LLLT device, powered by more than 400 Class 3R laser diodes operating at the optimum wavelength of 650nm (nanometer) for maximum hair growth stimulatory effect.
The multi-panel design with the laser diodes arranged in a dot matrix pattern delivered balanced low power density irradiation for a safe and effective treatment. The light source is held in position by the supporting cantilever for a comfortable treatment. The low-level laser, also known as cold laser, produced no heat and no pain.
Scalp Essence is administrated to the energized hair follicles, completing a holistic hair growth treatment. Each session lasts about an hour and customers can carry out their daily activities without any downtime.
The recommended treatment plan consists of twice-weekly sessions for 3 months followed by once-weekly sessions for the next 3 months.